Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A lot.

(Grandpa on the far left, with his brothers and sisters)

A lot has been going on in my life lately, and now it's found me having to go back home to the states for the second time in the past month to attend my grandfather's funeral. He died last week on the 11th day of the 1st month of the year at 11 o'clock. Lots of ones, a number i've always been fond of, and a day i always remember because it's one of my best friend's birthdays and the inverse of my birthday, something we always got a kick out of -- 11/1, 1/11. Whenever i'm home and things are feeling hard i tend to hang around the kitchen more than usual, and nothing has been different this time. In the past 12 hours i've made an olive oil cake, brownies and chocolate chip cookies. But really, the thing i'm most excited about is Marcela Hazan's trusty Bolognese Sauce that is simmering away. Best after having bubbled for at least five hours, it's even more satisfying because it has a few more steps than your typical simple pasta sauce. Tomorrow we will eat it as a family, and there's not much more that could make me happier right now.

1 comment:

IndiaMorgan said...

Memur darling I'm so sorry to hear about your Gramps. You're the sweetest Grandaughter a guy could have hoped for. Keep cookin' and hold on. xxx